According to the Recreation Vehicle Industry Association recently conducted research through the University of Michigan on the state of the industry. There are now 8.9 million households that own recreational vehicles (RVs), up from 7.9 million in 2005.
The reason: More and more people learn how RVing is a cost-effective and fun way to spend time with family and friends. The RV industry is addressing consumer needs by “right-sizing” RVs to offer the mix of amenities and price that consumers want. Some of the recent trends to get the RVs road-ready include:
- Greater use of light-weight construction materials to cut fuel consumption and make RVs more budget-friendly.
- Adoption of green construction strategies to minimize energy consumption, including more efficient thermal barriers, improved solar panels, tinted windows and installation of Energy Star appliances.
- Up-sizing kitchens and bathrooms to accommodate full-size appliances, full-size tub/showers and dual sinks.
- Use of picture and panoramic windows to improve interior lighting and bring the outdoors in.
- Increased use of vertical space and specialized built-ins (knife safes, door caddies, accordion-style pantries, entertainment systems) to maximize storage space.
TVLiftCabinet CEO Rob Buehl said he’s seen an uptick in the number of customers that want to include customized TVLiftCabinets in their RVs. “Every inch counts in an RV, but people don’t want to compromise on their large flatscreen televisions when they’re on the road for weeks at a time. Because these cabinets also provide excellent storage space, it’s a perfect addition for today’s recreational vehicles.